Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tough Times in Education-Land

Well, it certainly has been a while since the last post. I promised pictures and shortly after misplace the camera. Pictures will come when I find said camera.

I have already completed the first six weeks of the term! I am halfway to returning home for Christmas. Adjusting to life in a new city and province has been going well, but there really is 'no place like home' and I often find that my heart is still in Manitoba. We have started making some connections through church although our social life is still lacking options. We usually keep to ourselves.

After much waiting and wondering the student loans funds went through and so we are a little more secure financially than we were feeling in September. That being said, it is very expensive moving to a new province and expenses you never thought about seem to spring up all over the place. Provinces should really think about creating 'Welcome (We Just Want Your Money)' Packages so that the surprises are fewer.

School is tough. Not so much academically as emotionally and mentally. I have a penchant for difficulty and being a music student is probably the hardest thing I have ever done. While I have not lost my ability to shine academically (those courses are essentially a breeze), I am finding it difficult to develop the discipline required for practicing. I would disagree with those who say taking a break from school is a bad idea, but I would say that taking a break from playing cello was a bad idea. C'est la vie. Being away from home doesn't help with the emotional toughness, but I am holding the Christmas visit as an anchor through this first term. If I can make it until Christmas then I can make it until April.

In other news, Jeremy is enjoying his work and it is nice to know that we can pay rent regularly without worry. Even with studying, we still have lots of time to spend together and I most certainly could not have gone on this adventure without him.

We miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment