Thursday, February 10, 2011

A New Chapter Begins

God is good! The cello purchasing journey took less time than it could have!

What has been a relatively stressful three weeks has ended, with a 'new' cello and a bank loan. The Sound Post in Toronto had a small but decent collection of instruments in my price range (a price range that dropped significantly from my original bracket) and I fell in love with one particular cello on my first visit. I left it for a week to ponder how we were going to move forward with a purchase of this size.

I went to Toronto again on the January 28th after a bit of an ordeal with the Greyhound bus. I tried and re-tried cellos at The Sound Post but still loved the one. So, I brought it home and played it for a week. Unfortunately, I got sick with a head cold (probably brought on by stress/ the cold from waiting for the Greyhound). Then Laurier called a snow day on a lesson day (because we were supposed to get 30cm of snow, but we didn't). It started to seem like I wouldn't get a second, third or fourth opinion on the instrument before I had to bring it back. Luckily, my teacher was able to carve a little time out of his afternoon to take a look at it and he happily approved. Some of my fellow cellists were able to weigh in on the instrument as well.

I had been sold on the instrument when we were in the store, and even more so with the price. Cellos aren't cheap, especially when they're for serious students. This cello was so very reasonably priced for what was included - cello, bow (x2), case and a few accessories - that I would have been sad to give it up if it wasn't good enough.

There was further holding of breathe in regards to financing the instrument but that came through thanks to family and - mostly - to the bank.

Without further ado... the cello. (These pictures are not the best. Better ones to come.)

No comments:

Post a Comment